Are you ready for summer weather and looking for free places to get wet around Des Moines? I have the list for you! Sharing free play fountains, spraygrounds, and wading pools with pictures. There is a link to a DSMOF page with more information about the site listed under each one. I’ll be doing round-ups of area pools, area beaches, and area creeks to creek stomp in as well, so subscribe to my newsletter so you don’t miss them! Be sure to stay safe and check out some of our favorite summer gear essentials in this post here.
Don’t forget to come prepared!
If you click through you’ll see my notes on places if I’ve been there, but I have to say that my personal favorite is McHenry. Chime in with yours in the comments!
Fountains & Water Features
[Photo courtesy of Des Moines Parks and Rec]
[Photo courtesy of Snyder & Associates]
Drake Park Wading Pool in Des Moines
[Picture courtesy of West Des Moines Parks & Rec}
Prairie Ridge sprayground in Ankeny (free only for a short window in the morning before the aquatic center opens!)
Sunrise Park sprayground in Ankeny
- Possible sprayground at Fairmont Park, investigating for details!
- Raccoon River Sprayground in West Des Moines is CLOSED indefinitely, they plan to eventually remove it and replace it with no set date for construction.
- Fox Creek Park in Waukee will have a sprayground in the future, with no set date for construction (noted here).
- Coming this summer, a splash pad at Crestbruck Park in Ankeny
- There is also a splash pad at the Adel pool, Clive Aquatic Center, and the Urbandale Pool but none of them are free.
You can see all of the above places on a map below! Find the main map, that includes these sites along with pools, hiking trails, playgrounds. etc. on this page.
I’d love if you pinned the image below, don’t forget this list so you can get outside and get wet!